As I write this, I am thinking to myself I should be in bed. (Well, technically I am.) I broke one of my rules by having my iPad mini and iPhone in bed with me before going to sleep. This is a dangerous combination hence me writing about balance.
I broke my rule to get this running thought out of my head. We have heard it before, “All work and play is bad.” “Too much play doesn’t get the work done.” So how do we manage and live a life in balance?
You learn to let go of the hectic schedule. Let go of a rigid routine that keeps you in line. Grocery shop when you want to instead of when you have to. Run in the afternoon instead of the early, cold morning. Drink a glass of wine with dinner and skip the water. Eat frozen yogurt because it is there and don’t feel guilty about it later. Offer to cook for your mom instead of her offering to cook for you.
Recently, my Handsome went to Parris Island, SC for USMC boot camp. Before I met him (two years ago), I had prayed for something different, something worth investing in. After our first date I knew in my heart that if I didn’t make time for him, then I would never make time for him. Two years later he has been my balance in life. I am not professing two years in a comparison to longer courtships or marriages, but to me it has been a two-year investment of fun, growth, and adventure on both our parts. I helped him along while he slowed me down.
91 Days minus 9 until he is projected to graduate. I knew what I was getting into when I agreed to meet him in St. Augustine for our first date. As I count down the days I am flooded with memories we have shared that bring me such happiness, and yes tears of joy. I am also encouraged to work on myself to be better for him while he is away. He is brave doing what he has sworn to do. I am going to face another day to embrace a better version of me.
Life requires balance because at the end of the day, you live the life you want to live. Make it a good one to inspire others to do the same.
When you run your own business life happens. I remember when I used to run around wild and miss the simple pleasures in life. I have realized, life does not slow down for me–I have to slow down for IT.
I work odd hours, which allows me to slow down and take in the smell before it rains. I see where I need to slow down or pick up the pace. I set deadlines for each project that fits with a client’s needs to make it possible.
How do you find time to slow down?
In between car shopping because my car broke down, graduating in the beginning of this month, getting ready for Christmas, and juggling a new work/life schedule I have been getting frequent migraines. This time of year should be the time of year to actually slow down and spend quality time with family and friends, but I have noticed it only seems to get busier for many reasons.
I have noticed a few “commonalities” of what might be causing my severe headaches and decided to see if my experience can help you. Instead of writing a “how-to” get rid of the painful headaches, I decided to use humor to try to prevent them and to be aware of what may have caused them. Afterall, humor generates laughter and laughter is the best medicine.
- Get less sleep than you normally do. Your body is a machine.
- Drink more caffeine. Your body will think it is flavored water.
- If you follow #1 and #2, dehydration will be the last thing on your mind.
- Sleep in late to catch up on sleep. 4 hours of sleep last night + 2 hour nap = 6 hours of sleep.
- Running on-the-go without any sufficient rest is for chumps.
- Exercise, who has time for it? You sure don’t—keep going.
- Are you working in a demanding job that requires your mental and physical efforts to be used 24/7? Robots might start asking you for a operator’s manual.
- Do you have “irritants” in your home or work environment? (e.g. dust, annoying people, loud and frequent changes in noise and lighting) Just put on headphones and the maid will dust and clean for you.
- Are you caught in heavy traffic? Turn the music up louder and tell Facebook how annoyed you are right now.
- Are you craving sweets and heavy carbs? Eating them to make you feel better so don’t worry, be happy.